How to fly with children..to London!!!

When  I made my 2014 resolutions I included I trip to London, Paris or Barcelona. Although I didn't have high hopes  for achieving this goal, yesterday and out of a sudden we booked our flights to LONDON!!! This will be our first international trip as a family and I cannot wait for it!
But despite my excitement, I find the whole experience of flying with a 5 year old a bit intimidating. We went also on a road trip in Athens (6 hours journey) last September and we made it without any difficulties. But planes? Sharing a space with total strangers can lead to problems. This got me thinking of all the tricks I could use to make the process not only easy but fun as well!


1. My carry-on will include a variation of toys and books. I guess the initial excitement about flying will eventually fade away, so it will be good to distract him with a familiar game (tales and snakes for example, he loves it) or a book. 

2. Our Iphones will be on fire taking photos but I'm afraid that too much electronic entairtenment will also eliminate family interaction. And this is what this trip is all about! In order for this not to happen I thought of buying him a camera so that he will take his own photographs. Yay or nay?

3. As our flight is early in the morning, eating a good breakfast before will definitely help. An adult can control his hunger much easier than a child. But if it's allowed from our airline I will carry a few healthy snacks as well.

4. It's been a while since my last flight but I van vividly remember the changes of temperatures. Dressing in layers is a good way of preventing getting too cold or too warm.

5. To avoid the issue of ear-pressure build-up, as even older children don’t have the necessary motor skills to relieve this pressure themselves a lollilop can help. Extra bonus: a few silent moments.



Have you ever travelled with your kids? Do you have any tips and tricks? I would love to know them!!!


Share :

11 comments:

  1. Aw what a sweet idea, you got to buy him a camera! That would be lovely.

    I'm off to London next week too, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! I would love to know your recommendations..Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Το μόνο που έχω να σου πω είναι, οτι πρώτο μου ταξίδι με αεροπλάνο ήταν σε ηλικία 6 ετών, δεν θα το ξεχάσω ποτέ!τέλεια εμπειρία για ένα παιδάκι όσο για το Λονδίνο πρασινίζω ...κοκκινίζω. αν θέλεις πληροφορίες πες μου, το έχω σχεδόν χαρτογραφήσει.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Αν κι εχω ξαναπάει εννοείται ότι θέλω πληροφορίες!!!Ευχαριστώ πολύ!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christel DeBlasio3/7/14 16:01

    I'm so happy for you all. My first trip cross Atlantic trip was at 11 months. I have been travelling with my children since they were four months old. At six, my children were travelling across the Atlantic on their own (they are three so they kept each other in check). It's a great adventure for a child and a learning experience that is unparalleled with any other. I say "don't sweat the small stuff"! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christel DeBlasio3/7/14 16:05

    One more thing - before leaving on trips with my children, we used to plan out some of our sightseeing before we left. It's fun to sit together and get excited - Let your son choose a few things he would like to do. When children have a plan they are much less anxious and much more excited. He will be ready to use his new camera before you leave!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Η αλήθεια είναι ότι δεν έχω ταξιδέψει με παιδιά μιας και η μικρή μου καταφθάνει σε 2 μήνες περίπου στην αγκαλιά μου αλλά είναι κάτι που σίγουρα θα κάνω στο μέλλον!!
    Δεν έχω να σου δώσω κάποια συμβουλή αλλά please please please ανέβασε post με την εμπειρία σου και συμβουλές για εμάς τις μελλοντικές μανούλες ταξιδιώτισσες!!
    Φιλιά Κατερίνα μου!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Καταρχήν με το καλό να δεχτείς το παιδάκι σου! Κι εννοείται ότι θα ανεβάσω photos κ την όλη εμπειρία! Θα παίξει πολύ Λονδίνο από δω κ στο εξης!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love that I have discovered your blog. I have a 3-month old son and I was reading about this to learn what to do when we end up traveling with him. I think the camera idea is genius! I want to give that to our son so he can document his journey. Best of luck on your trip! Sounds like lots of fun =)


    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope to visit Europe soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope so too! There are so many amazing places to visit!

    ReplyDelete